Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. My posts will be mainly about gardening here in beautiful Spring Valley, Minnesota! After starting gardening here in 2008, I found that I was lacking knowledge in this topic. I decided to take the core horticulture course through the University of Minnesota in the late winter and spring of 2010. As a result of this class and continued volunteer work, I am now in my second year as a Master Gardener. I am still learning and probably will be for years to come. As I research and learn about gardening topics, I will post here. I hope you will find use for this information as I post. Please feel free to contact my with questions or post your comments. Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Butterfly Garden?

As I was planning to plan my 2012 garden, I was really only thinking of vegetables.  But I came across this post on the University of Minnesota Extension website regarding butterfly gardening.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/components/DG6711e.html

And non-vegetable gardens deserve as much planning as vegetable gardens.  Although I feel that by producing vegetables, I am providing for my family.  However, there is an aesthetic property to having a beautiful yard that will provide season-long enjoyment for me and my family.  I bet the neighbors will be thankful for a nice plot of flowers, too.

My past leanings have been for perennials.  I think that was mostly driven my my frugal nature.  But in the Extension's publication, I learned that butterflies mostly want nectar and that since annuals tend to bloom for long stretches of the summer, they can provide well for them.  There is also a need for perennials, as they can provide variation over many seasons.  Additionally, a divers planting can provide a flower bed that is more resistant to any single environmental problem.

As I continue on my planning journey, I will be considering placement of a butterfly garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment